EMDR And EMDR Intensives

What Is EMDR?

EMDR is an abbreviation for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It is a therapeutic approach that involves the movement of the eyes to help desensitize and reprocess trauma you have experienced so you can experience more healing and freedom in your life. I have received EMDR before and can testify to its healing potential and effectiveness. I am trained in a version of EMDR called S.A.F.E. (Somatic and Attachment Focused) EMDR. S.A.F.E. EMDR helps you understand how your childhood experiences are directly tied to the problematic patterns in your life. It focuses on healing the root issue so that you find resolve with these current issues. By bringing the root trauma to mind while simultaneously moving your eyes back and forth, you can begin to move stuck energy, reprocess unhelpful emotions, and perceive painful childhood events and negative beliefs about yourself in a more healthy and accurate way. As children, we often perceive difficult experiences to be our fault and carry these unhelpful core beliefs about ourselves, such as “I’m unworthy, I’m broken, I’m a failure, I’m not good enough.” into our adulthood. EMDR helps you to transform these unhelpful and untrue beliefs into more accurate and true beliefs, such as “I am worthy, I am good enough, I am lovable.”

What does EMDR feel like? As your eyes move from left to right you may begin to access repressed thoughts, feelings, and sensations. A new thought may come to mind, or you may begin to get in touch with repressed anger or sadness, or you may notice new sensations such as warmth, coolness, heaviness, or lightness. It feels different for everyone, but afterwards many people describe feeling lighter and more like their authentic self.


Sometimes an hour session is just not enough. Just as you get close to profound change and growth, the session ends. Or perhaps your story deserves to be seen in its entirety and not broken up over months or years. You would like to have it all come together at once. With EMDR intensives we don’t have to pause. You can have the adequate space and time you need to focus on your story and heal your trauma.

Duration: EMDR intensives allows your healing to occur at a much quicker pace than the standard hourly session once per week. Intensives can be a half-day (3 hours) or full-day (6 hours) experience, and can occur in the span of 1 or 2 days.

Cost: The half-day rate of 3 hours is $600 and the full-day rate of 6 hours is $1100. The full day rate includes an hour break for a meal. A 20% deposit is due at booking and the remaining 80% will be due at time of appointment.

What to expect: We will meet in the comfort of my home for the entirety of the intensive. We will begin by preparing a treatment plan and discussing what you would like to focus on and achieve over the duration of the work. Lunch or dinner will be on your own or together in my home and small breaks will be scheduled throughout the 3 or 6-hour day to rest and integrate the work. It is most beneficial for you to schedule a day of rest for yourself after our work together.

Taylor Houchens, M.S., LPC

191 East Chestnut Street
Asheville, NC  28804